Kashi Vishwanath temple is one of the famous tourist destinations of Uttarakhand where thousands of pilgrimages visit to worship and seek the blessings of Lord Shiva. Apart from the temple, the place is famous for trekking and hiking.
About Kashi Vishwanath Temple Uttarkashi(History):
In ancient times Uttarkashi was called the city of Vishwanath. In Kedarkhand and Puranas the word 'Badahat' is used for Uttarkashi. Vishwanath temple is mentioned in Badahat in Kedarkhand itself. It has also been called 'Soumya Kashi' in Puranas. At a distance of Uttarkashi bus stand The temple is located at a distance of 300 meters. It is said that this temple was established by Parshuram Ji. The Kashi Vishwanath Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is said to have been initially built by Lord Parashurama and later renovated in 1857 by Maharani Smt. Khaneti, the wife of Sudarshan Shah. The present temple was built in 1857 AD with traditional Himalayan temple architecture over the pre-existing ancient altar. Legend Lord Shiva considers it as the second abode of Kali Yuga. It is believed that when Kashi or Varanasi submerges under water, Lord Kashi Vishwanath will be shifted to this temple in Uttarkashi. It is also believed that when sage Markandeya started his sixteenth year, his parents started feeling sad. The son tried many times to know the reason for his sadness. One day Maharishi Markandeya insisted a lot, then Mahamuni Mrikandu (father of Maharishi) told that Lord Shankar has given him only sixteen years of age and it is about to be completed. This is why I am feeling sad. Maharishi asked him for some time saying that right now he is praising Lord Shankar. Wait till he finishes. When Kaal refused to do so, Markandeya Rishi protested. When Kaal wanted to devour him, he hugged the Shivling. Amid all this Lord Shiva appeared there. He kicked Kaal in the chest. After that, after getting the permission of Lord Shiva, he left from there.
Kashi Vishwanath Temple Uttarkashi is located in Uttarkashi near the Main Market of Uttarkashi. This temple is located in the Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand. The temple is situated a few meters away from the banks of the Bhagirathi River. The temple is located near NH 34, near Government Post Graduate College and Government Inter College. Rishikesh and Dehradun are the nearest railway stations which are located just 167 km away from Uttarkashi while Jolly Grant in Dehradun is the nearest airport which is located 171 km via Mussoorie Road and 181 km via NH-34 from Uttarkashi. Uttarkashi is situated at a distance of 154 km from Rishikesh on the Rishikesh-Gangotri road. Vishwanath Temple is the most important and ancient holy temple in this region and is at a distance from Uttarkashi bus stand The temple is located at a distance of 300 meters. For accommodation varieties of luxury Hotels in Uttarkashi are available with all modern amenities.
How to reach:
In the Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand Kashi Vishwanath Temple is located. A few meters away from the banks of the Bhagirathi river the newly revered temple is located. The temple is situated near NH 34, near the Government Post Graduate and Inter College. Rishikesh and Dehradun Railway stations from Uttarkashi were just 167 meters away from the temple .while if you were looking for airports Jolly Grant in Dehradun is the nearest airport which is located just 171kms far from Uttarkashi.
If you are coming from Delhi NCR you can take a direct bus from the Delhi bus stand. If you were coming from Rishikesh/Haridwar you get many services early in the morning.
Nearby tourist attractions to Uttarakashi:
Uttarkashi is a small town in the hill state of Uttarakhand, also known as the "Varanasi of the North". Revered as a religious place by Hindus, “Uttarkashi” is one of the holiest pilgrimage sites in India. Apart from being a religious place, Uttarkashi also has a beautiful hill station that is adorned with snow-clad hills, picturesque valleys, glaciers, and verdant woods. If you are searching for the best places in Uttarakhand to visit with your family or friends, then you must visit Kashi in the North, because Uttarkashi is a place where you can do many adventure sports activities while visiting religious places.
- ● Nachiketa Lake - Nachiketa Lake is another beautiful lake in Uttarkashi which remains a center of attraction for tourists visiting Uttarkashi. Like Dodital Lake, Nachiketa Lake also has a legend attached to it, according to which it is believed that this lake was built by Uddaloka who named the lake after his son. A famous Nag Devta temple is also situated on the banks of this lake.
- ● Maneri Dame Built on the Bhagirathi River, Maneri Dam is one of the famous tourist places in Uttarkashi. The dam is surrounded by lofty mountains and lush green alpine meadows, making it an attractive place to relax. This dam is very famous for 1-day trips and picnics where a huge crowd of tourists and local people can be seen.
- ● Har Ki Doon Har Ki Doon is indeed a beautiful valley that offers an amazing view of the snow-capped Himalayan peaks like Swargarohini, Bandarpoon, Ruinsara, and Kali Choti. This peak is reached by trekking through the Govind National Park, hence this place is considered a paradise for nature lovers and trekkers. The place is also known as the 'Valley of the Gods' as the local people believe that the Pandavas took this route to go to heaven. That's why this valley also holds a very important place in the pilgrimage center of Uttarkashi.
- ● Gaumukh The Gomukh Glacier is the main source of the "Ganga River or Bhagirathi River". The place holds immense significance in Hindu mythology and attracts a number of devotees and tourists who come here to take a dip in the icy cold waters. Gomukh is situated at a distance of 18 km from Gangotri which can be reached by trekking.
- ● Gangotri "Gangotri" located in Uttarkashi is a popular pilgrimage center with long queues of tourists and devotees coming. It is situated at an altitude of 3,100 meters above sea level on the Greater Himalayan Range. Gangotri situated on the banks of river Bhagirathi is the origin point of river Ganga. Maa Ganga Temple, Gangotri Temple, and Surya Kund are some of the most popular places to visit in Gangotri that you can visit on your trip to Gangotri.
If you were planning to visit Kashi Vishwanath temple or Uttarkashi you should also try other activities like trekking or hiking in Uttarkashi or even River rafting. It will provide you with the best experience and blow your mind. You can go through Trekking or hiking Uttarkashi is a paradise for pilgrims as well as trekkers, enriched with the rich beauty of the Garhwal Himalayas, snow-capped hills, and picturesque valleys, Uttarkashi offers treks for trekkers like Dayara Bugyal Trek, Tapovan Trek, Dodital Trek, Har Ki Doon and Kedarkantha Trek. Offers many trekking trails.
You can also go through River rafting at a low cost and the best experience River rafting is an exciting and fun activity to do in Uttarkashi that you can enjoy with your friends. If you are crazy about river rafting then you can enjoy river rafting in Yamuna and Ganga river in Uttarkashi.